top of page

Leon beats LAFC 1-0 in the second leg of the Concacaf Champions League final at BMO Stadium

LAFC came into the match at the BMO with 2-1 loss from the first leg in Leon, looking to turnaround that result at their home stadium in front of their fans.

The first 20 minutes, Hosts LAFC found themselves behind when Ivan Moreno broke down the right side and passed it Lucas Di Yorio in the center of the area who beat John McCarthy with a first-time shot that resulted in a goal. (1-0 Leon)

With hopes this goal wouldn't affect LAFC, Leon had the better possession and chances on goal. Looking extremely confident and easily passing through LAFC's backline. LAFC looked a little flustered and disorganized during the entire first half. With no actual threatening chances.

Leon despite being the "away" teamed seemed very calm and confident and had little trouble against the LAFC attack that only hit the target once in the first half. Then ended the first half and into the break with a 3-1 aggregate lead.

What caught many by surprise was Carlos Vela who had been quiet the entire match and was subbed off in the 64th minute. Manager, Cherundolo later mentioned the reason for this sub was because he needed "fresh legs". This was true despite the performance fans were getting from LAFC and the urgency that was needed to get two goals from the team if they wanted to have a chance at winning the final.

Around the 70th minute, Lucas Romero bumped heads with Aaron Long, in attempt to head a loose ball in the air, but instead resulted in both player requiring attention on the field from their teams' medical staff.

The game was mainly possessed by Leon for the rest of the game resulted in Leon beating LAFC 1-0 in the second leg of the Concacaf Champions League final at BMO Stadium on Sunday to win its first-ever continental title by a final of 3-1 on aggregate.

33 views0 comments

Related Posts

See All


Rated 0 out of 5 stars.
No ratings yet

Add a rating
bottom of page