top of page

Hull City in Kenya

Updated: Nov 25, 2023

Visiting Hull City defeated Gor Mahia 4-3 on post-match penalties after the Hull City Challenge match ended in a goalless draw at Moi International Sports Centre, Kasarani. The 60,000 capacity stadium was packed to the brim as soccer enthusiasts turned up to watch the Kenyan Champions take on the English side.

Gor Mahia Coach Dylan Kerr fielded a stronger first XI that is also expected to be retained against Algerian side USM Algers in their second group stage game of the CAF Confedations Cup to be played at the same venue. It was the same case with Hull City manager Nigel Adkins, who gave former Manchester United man Fraizer Campbell an opportunity to face the Kenya champions, as well as David Marshal and Jon Toral.

The visitors started well, playing their typical passing game, but couldn't break down the strong Kogallo defense. On the 6th minute Frazer Campbell rued his missed chance after picking a clever flick from former Manchester United man William Keane. Campbell took so long to decide only to dispossessed. Gor Mahia had their chance too after Geoffrey Odhiambo cut in to find Ivorian striker Ephraim but the custodian was in the right place to deny him.

Ten minutes before the break the best opportunity fell for Gor Mahia when Mieno won the ball in the midfield. It was a three on one situation and an opener looked apparent. However, Tuyisenge decided to be selfish and went for goal, but his effort could not hit the target.

After the break, the match tempo went down. Both sides introduced new players. The Kenyan champions continued to pile more pressure on the visitors but to no avail. They enjoyed majority of ball possession but their blunt attack ensured it amounted to nothing. Meddie Kagere was introduced in the 65th minute to bring in a new attacking impetus. Harun Shakava and Godfrey Walusimbi ensured Hull striker Campbell was kept at bay.

After 90 minutes, with both sides seeing their efforts yield no fruits, they settled on a barren stalemate and had to be separated with a spot kick. The Tigers won 4-3 after Gor Mahia had squandered a chance to open the gap when the first round of penalty kick had ended 2-2

10 views0 comments

Related Posts

See All
bottom of page